What is the economic value of the Wiesn?
The Department for Labor and Economics (RAW) of the City of Munich, as the organizer of the Oktoberfest, commissioned a representative survey during the Oktoberfest 2019, which provides information about the economic value of the festival, visitor structure and image. According to current calculations based on this survey, the economic value of the Oktoberfest in 2019 was 1.25 billion euros.
- According to the surveys and calculations, the approximately 6.3 million festival visitors spent a total of around 448 million euros (per person on average 71.12 euros) directly at the Oktoberfest over the 16 days.
- Foreign visitors left a further 289 million euros in the city for food, shopping, taxi rides and the use of public transport.
- For overnight stays and gastronomy, the external festival guests again spent a total of around 513 million euros.
- 71 percent (2014: 65 percent) of foreign guests stayed in Munich during the Oktoberfest. This
- Overnight stays are divided as follows:
- 31 percentage points (2014: 30 percentage points) chose accommodation with friends, relatives and acquaintances
- 40 percentage points (2014: 70 percentage points) stayed in commercial accommodation (hotels, guesthouses, campsites, private landlords, youth hostels).